Thursday, June 11, 2015

In Africa Mon

I arrived in Tanzania on Monday and Joseph picked me up from the airport with his friend Johnson. They came in a dusty 90's corolla turned taxi, and after failing to squeeze the donation suitcases into the trunk, the driver threw them in the front seat and we all sat in the back.

As we raced through the muggy Dar es Salaam air, motorbikes passed us on all sides. The driver passed vehicles in a shockingly coordinated traffic scheme that defied Western conceptions of traffic flow. We progressed into Kibaha and got drinks at the only bar in the market area, a huge thatched mechanism with food and pool tables.

I had a nice night listening to the bugs in Africa, shrouded in a nice mosquito net. The next day I hopped on to a very crowded bus with Joseph and went with him to his Internet cafe. I walked around town and learned some Tanzanian checkers.I am the only white person I know of in town, so most people noticed me.

Many were very friendly, introducing themselves in English if they knew.I'm starting to pick up Swahili, but I still cant hold a conversation in it.

The town is a maze of homemade shops more akin to a carnival set up then town by American standards. The streets are dirt,and dirt bike taxis race through from all directions. But the food is good, especially the fruit. Fresh mangoes and avocados. Yum!

I made a website for Josephs orphanage on wix and have been looking for grant opportunities, but haven't had much luck.

So far everyone has been friendly, and I've been introduced to the huge variety of sounds Africans make, squeaks, grunts and everything in between. A conversation can be very fun to watch as there is much laughing and slapping and grunting, even for mundane topics.

Tonight i will meet a volunteer from Australia that is coming in from Igamba.I will post pictures of the town another time!

Bedai!
'see you later'in Swahili

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are becoming immersed into the real African very quickly. This is a great experience for you to interact directly with the people of Tanzania! Good luck learning Swahili! I also enjoy reading your posts about all your experiences. Be safe.
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete