Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Burgdorf Hot Springs

So after a restless night staying in a rainy park behind some bushes in Lewiston, I found my way to McCall, ID by bus. Upon arrival, I found out no one was available to pick me, so being the diligent hard-working young man I am, I bought a hamburger and sat down. Then I started hiking up to Burgdorf, only 35 scenic miles.... Luckily I was picked up by a guy named Luke, who used to hitch around the country himself.  After driving me up there he even gave me $11 to boot. Pretty nice.

So I got to Burgdorf, and my initial thought was it was incredibly creepy and a good setting for a murder mystery. However, as I settled in, it became exponentially more warn and inviting. There is a large pool that is 106 degrees and two small ones that are 113 degrees. Everything is made in the authentic log cabin style building with Idaho pine. The resort itself was originally a stop in the late 1800's for miners, and has been a dairy farm, a hippie colony, and resort. The pools are surrounded by rustic cabins. The only electricity available is generated through a solor panel by the main office, with limited internet. Hopefully i can keep up with my online math class so I can please the great gods of academia at the University of Lousiville.


Rick is the main caretaker, a retired restaurant owner from Washington. He put me up in a little white cabin about 100 yards from pool, complete with a little stove and a little bed.
The first night, I became acquainted with the wood pile. My task was to stack this massive pile of wood. After stacking for a while, I headed to the cabin to pass out. However, hunger was calling my name, so I brought out the only thing I had...Spam...glorious spam. I tried cooking it over the stove, but as it turns out, Spam is disgusting. I ended up chugging an entire jar of apple sauce instead.

The next day I took a hike to crystal mountain, a huge quartz outcropping at the top of a mountain. The view was incredible. I felt like a nature valley granola bar model.
That night I saw some elk, which was pretty cool. The whole place is very peaceful for the most part, except the stray dune buggy or four wheeler. It reminded me of how John Steinbeck must have felt when he was writing his first novel. He was a maintenance man living in a cabin at resort in Utah.

Overall, fairly peaceful. Unfortunately however, I am living off the equivalent of gas station food, so hopefully that wont make me sick. Good stuff happening in the mountains of Idaho

No comments:

Post a Comment