Friday, June 14, 2013

First Day in Colorado!

Hey Everybody! So... I spent the day meandering Colorado Springs, and I dont even know where to start.
First of all, you'd NEVER guess this city has half a million people. It has a laid back attitude that words can hardly describe. A very cool place.

So I started off going over to the local skate park across the street to get some info on the city. As I was trying to get some conversation going, a drug dealer and his toadies walk up adamantely claiming the park as his "turf" for the day. This would n really bother me except i'm wearing running shoes, wool socks, and a "Harrison County Great Goat Race" cut off with "Goat Gang" on the back. Needless to say, I may have stuck out a bit amongst the sea of skinny jeans and etnies... Feeling a bad vibe, I left for the downtown, a pretty good walk towards Pikes Peak.

There I stopped in a building called the Christian Science Reading Room. After talking a bit with volunteer there, I learned the Christian Science Chruch is a religion that claims all suffering is an illusion we create for ourselves, and only a deep understanding of Jesus' teachings can allow one to tear this veil. An intersting perspective, and certainly not something you find in Southern Indiana.

Next I took a quick detour through the local park, to find kids playing in the fountains, old men reading the paper, and about three groups of people happily somking pot lol The funniest part is not one person seemed to mind. I dont know why it was illegal in the first place

Next I met a girl named Marica, who was strumming a ukele on a street planter. She told me about her college program that allows her to do each semester in a different country.

Finally I met a guy, Tim, playing the bongo on the street like nobody's business. He had an amazing beard and said he played for God. He also said that the mountain towering over Colorado Springs are a reminder of how small we really are, and serve to presevere the small-town, laid back vibe. So I decided if he ever quit bongos, he should become a Jedi Master...


After that I huffed back to Aunt Kim's apartment because the air is so thin. It will take some serious getting used to!

Tonight I might go see Tim and his band at the local coffee shop

Buenos Dias and look to the mountains my friends!

P.S. The best water in the world is in Colorado Springs. It has a quality of sweetness unlike anywater I've ever had. Gotta try it some time
 

An intersting work area in downtown

View of Pikes Peak from the apartment
 

 

 


 
A funny ad for a beer festival hosted by what I assume to be one of the cities more liberal churches

7 comments:

  1. I remembering waking up a looking at Pikes Peak every morning. I did draw stregth from the shear beauty of Colorado and the Peak. Your friend was right that the stregth of the mountain is powerful, especially when comparing it to yourself. Food for thought.....The Lord gifted you the same amount of power. Pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure! You have a gift for making me feel as if i were tucked away in your backpack and along for the ride. Keep finding joy in your journey. Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you're having a great time and I'm super jealous that i didn't get to go with you! Make sure you tell Tim hi for me!
    Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and on the brighter side of things, at least you weren't wearing an "I <3 Butt Drugs" shirt when you were approached by the menacing dealers.
    Jacob writing for his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jonathan,

    Sounds like an awesome adventure that you are undertaking. Some people might say a vision quest. Looking forward to reading your travel tales. George is missing you right now with 560 birds running around and 100 goats.
    Keeping you in our prayers for safe travels
    Your cousins,
    George and Suz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear johnny,
    Yet another awesome story. Please keep going and be safe. A quick quote from a friend, "the world is filled with sights and sounds, but the best are usually the smallest."

    Your friend
    JT Samart

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jon
    Sounds like quite an interesting first day in Colorado Springs. Looks like the word "gang" on your tee shirt caught the attention of some homies protecting thier turf. Nicde veiw of the mountains from the apartment. Also, looks like the feast of St Arnolds is a little more liberal church fundriser than the anything around here. Also like seeing the pics on the co-working work spaces, catering to the independent worker who still likes some human interaction at work. Did you ever get to listent to Tim's band play?

    ReplyDelete